Here’s our 4th episode of the second series of our ‘Think digital, act human’ podcast.
This is an honest and personal look at Emma and Jack's experiences and what they’ve learnt along the way. Not everyone is comfortable with networking and here they talk about alternative ways to getting yourself known, headhunting, other people's expectations, and leadership more broadly.
They share top tips for those starting in a SCS role. So if you’re considering applying, this is a great episode for you.
Let us know what you think.
If you’re short on time, fast forward to:
- 4:10 why the term 'senior' civil servant creates a barrier
- 6:07 Jack's route into the Civil Service through the Fast Stream
- 8:47 Jack and Emma's view on 'the 3-year rule'
- 14:09 getting comfortable in a new role
- 16:00 stepping into an organisation as a leader
- 18:07 what recruitment looks like in SCS positions
- 35:04 Jack's advice on planning your career
- 36:36 types of testing at SCS interviews
- 40:56 top tips for SCS interviews
You can read a transcript and subscribe to future DfE Digital, Data and Technology podcasts on Podbean.